La Cátedra – The Best Secret Neighborhood Restaurants in Barcelona
You wouldn’t think that any part of the Gran Via would be quiet, but La Cátedra Barcelona restaurante manages it. On the corner of Gran Via and Carrer de Muntaner, the restaurant adjoins a leafy tree-lined residential street near the University of Barcelona. For travelers, students, and locals, this neighborhood spot serves up delicious meals, though it’s not open until the small hours of the morning. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, brunch, and tapas are always available along with a full bar. Must-try dishes include the following-
- Baked sea bass with potatoes, tomato, and onion.
- Grilled veal loin steak
- Three styles of paella – seafood, chicken, and mixed
- Crema Catalana
- Shrimp with garlic, sherry, parsley, and lemon
The La Catedra Barcelona wine list is heavy on the reds, but offers a good selection of rose, white, and cava. A full bar serves popular cocktails 97 zero such as mojito, Kir Royale, Bloody Mary, and gin and tonics. The sangria comes as sangria de vino and sangria de cava – a sangria made by the local Catalan champagne. Also on the menu are Tex-Mex dishes such as nachos and fajitas, pizzas, and hamburgers. Three prix fixe menus are also available in vegetarian, seafood, and classic.
Things to Know:
- Terrace with surcharge. Wheelchair accessible.
- Price Range: $$-$$$ (midrange)
- Cuisine: European, Mediterranean, Spanish, Catalan
- Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Tapas, Desserts, Vegetarian.
- Service: Table service. Full bar.
- Hours: Monday- Friday 7:00 AM-10:00 PM, Saturday-Sunday 1:00 PM to 10:00 PM
- Address: Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, 578, 08011 Barcelona, Spain
- Telephone: +34 93 454 84 29
Outside of the usual tourist areas, restaurant prices tend to be lower. At a La Cátedra Barcelona restaurante, classic Catalan dishes are served with style. Quality ingredients and experienced staff make this establishment a good bet for travelers and budget-conscious college students alike.